Resident Stage Manager
Resident Stage Manager
Starts: March 1, 2016
Reports to: Production Manager
The Cincinnati Shakespeare Company (CSC), a non-profit AEA SPT5+ theatre, is seeking a Resident Stage Manager. The position will be available as of March 1, 2016 and has no end date.
At CSC, our mission is to execute world-class theatre. We provide a home for classic theatre, and want to make it widely available to audiences of all ages. CSC produces up to 10 main stage productions, 6 touring productions, and several educational events per season. The Resident Stage Manager serves as the SM for the 10 main stage productions as well as contributes training, problem solving, scheduling assistance, and logistics for the other projects within CSC. In 2017, CSC will be moving into a new facility, and the Resident Stage Manager will take a leadership role in the move process—providing assistance with logistics, coordination, strike, and set-up of new technical work areas.
A successful candidate will be familiar with current Actors Equity regulations, have superior organizational skills, possess excellent verbal and written communication skills, and be ready to hit the ground running within a fast-paced organization. To be considered, candidates must either be residents of Cincinnati or be willing to relocate. Candidates do not have to be a member of AEA, but will be required to become a member if hired.
Daily duties include:
- Overseeing rehearsals
- Taking blocking
- Giving or supervising line notes
- Scheduling fittings
- Maintaining the callboard
- Collaborating with directors, designers, and production team members to ensure the highest level of production quality
- Running technical rehearsals and performances, including operating the lighting console
- Coordinating cast member company obligations outside of rehearsals and performances
- Managing a non-union Properties Master / ASM for the mainstage and additional SM staff for tours and other projects
- Communicating text cuts and changes to entire production team
- Circulating rehearsal and performance reports to the production and leadership teams
Per-Production duties include:
- Cleaning the rehearsal hall and preparing the space for the next production
- Setting the rehearsal room for first reads, enabling design presentations and VIP guest accommodation
- Creating rehearsal calendars which requires intimate collaboration with the Company Manager, Production Manager, and Producing Artistic Director
- Creating and maintaining a prompt book
- Running paper techs and dry techs
- Maintaining the integrity of the production after opening
- Archiving production materials after closing
Seasonal duties include:
- Tracking Stage Management budget lines
- Reporting expenses to the Production Manager
- Purchasing expendables required for the Stage Management department
- Ordering and distributing scripts to cast members
- Participating in the hiring process for various production team members
- Collaborating with the Production Manager and Producing Artistic Director on ways to improve our stage work year after year
- Communicating with leadership team members regarding overtime incurrences for union company members while scheduling
- Attending all staff and production meetings
- Run production meetings in the absence of the Production Manager
- Developing an annual business plan for the Stage Management department including budget figures, and formal plans for department improvement
- Additional duties as assigned by the Production Manager
- Self-driven, requiring minimal supervision
- 1+ years of professional experience as a PSM or SM with a BFA or BA in Stage Mangement or 3+ years of professional experience as either a PSM or SM
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Comfortable working on ladders of varying heights
- Familiarity with AEA regulations and procedures
- Familiarity with MS Office including Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Familiarity with Google Drive a plus
- Comfortable operating ETC Ion a plus
- BFA or BA in Theatre Arts and Stage Management preferred
- Reliable mode of transportation or housing within walking distance of the theater
To apply, please submit your resume, relevant work samples—rehearsal reports, blocking notes, rehearsal calendars, daily schedules, etc.—and three references to Maddie Regan, Production Manager, at email@example.com. Please include “Stage Manager Candidate” in the subject line.
No phone inquires please.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY Cincinnati Shakespeare Company strongly supports equal employment opportunity for all applicants regardless of race, sex, religion, creed, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation or any other legally protected classification.