Job Description: Development Director
The Cincinnati Shakespeare Company seeks an experienced development professional who wants to have a huge impact on the organization.
This newly created role has three objectives:
- Supercharge the current Annual Campaign — The DD will lead the current staff of three multi-hatted individuals who cover Foundations & Government, Corporate Sponsorships & Special Events, and Individual Giving. As a result, the DD will be expected to grow the existing base of $750,000 in contributed income.
- Create specific Endowment and Planned Giving Campaigns — The DD will define the strategies and execute campaigns for both Endowment and Planned Giving. While both programs currently exist, neither has had a dedicated effort.
- Assist/Lead the Capital Campaign — The DD will play a major role in the Company’s first Capital Campaign, slated for the 2014/2015 fiscal year. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to support the building of a new theater for the Company, creating a legacy for an already well-established organization. Level of DD involvement in this effort will depend on the individual’s prior experience and the potential of engaging an external consultant.
The DD will report to Jay Woffington, the Executive Director, and will have significant relationships with Brian Isaac Phillips, the Producing Artistic Director, as well as the Board of Trustees.
Mission: The Cincinnati Shakespeare Company is a resident ensemble theater company bringing Shakespeare and the classics to life for audiences of all ages.
The Company has three parts to its business model:
- Mainstage Classical Theater – As the only classical theater between Pittsburgh and Chicago, the Company produces year-round, staging 10 mainstage productions with approximately 200 performances for 25,000 patrons. Currently in its 21st Season, the Company holds the distinction of being one of only 5 US theaters to complete Shakespeare’s entire 38-play canon. The Company hires 15-20 actors to long-term contracts for its resident ensemble,, helping to build the creative class of Cincinnati.
- Education Program – Through matinees, school tours, workshops and acting classes, the Cincinnati Shakespeare Company reaches over 100 schools and 30,000 students annually. The program quantitatively measures the impact on students’ comprehension of the curriculum material in addition to their appreciation of performing arts.
- Community Outreach – The Company’s Shakespeare in the Park Tour performs for free for more than 6,000 people in over 20 area parks throughout the summer.
The Company is growing rapidly, with an increase in both earned and contributed income of over 40% in the past two years with solid surpluses and a strong cash position.
The ideal candidate:
- Has a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree and has proven horsepower
- Has experience in fundraising, especially donor cultivation and strategy development; capital campaign experience a plus; for-profit business development experience will also be considered
- Proven ability to analyze complex data sets and turn insights into successful sales or marketing strategies
- Is comfortable communicating with a wide-range of people, including senior business executives and high net worth individuals
The ideal candidate:
- Has an optimistic but candid personality
- Values smart fundraising fundamentals as well as in-market results
- Has a bias for action and a high standard for excellence of implementation
- Leads and manages people with positive enthusiasm and trust, providing autonomy with a culture of coaching
- Recognizes attendance and participation at events and activities throughout the cultural community will be expected outside of normal office hours and on weekends as needed
Desired start date is April 1, 2014 but is flexible. Compensation will be determined based on experience level.
Please submit a cover letter expressing your interest and your unique value along with your resume to Jay Woffington, firstname.lastname@example.org.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY Cincinnati Shakespeare Company strongly supports equal employment opportunity for all applicants regardless of race, sex, religion, creed, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation or any other legally protected classification.