Title: Special Events and House Manager
Reports to: Development Director and Managing Director
About the Cincinnati Shakespeare Company
The Cincinnati Shakespeare Company (CSC) is a resident ensemble theatre company bringing Shakespeare and the Classics to life for audiences of all ages. Producing year-round, CSC executes up to 10 main stage productions, 6 touring productions, and several additional events per season.
The Special Events and House Manager will be the welcoming face of the Company for all patrons and guests who attend events and performances at Cincinnati Shakespeare Company’s brand new Otto M. Budig Theater located at 12th and Elm in Cincinnati’s historic Over the Rhine neighborhood.
In addition to being a master of logistics, having a keen design eye, and creating a welcoming environment for event guests and theater patrons, the Special Events and House Manager will oversee a staff of eight bartenders and a team of volunteer ushers and assistant house managers.
Primary Duties include House Managing all performances; managing venue events including building rentals, corporate sponsor gatherings, and VIP receptions; bar and bar staff management; front of house volunteer coordination; and box office support.
This is a full-time position. While hours and days will vary with needs of production and events schedule, base schedule for this position is essentially second shift--2:00pm to 11:00pm Wednesday-Saturday, and Noon to 7:00pm Sunday. The Special Events and House Manager reports to the Development Director and Managing Director.
Required skills include:
- Three years’ experience in front of house or entertainment management.
- A desire to provide exceptional patron service.
- An eye for design and an ability to create world-class event aesthetics.
- Must be able to lift 30lbs, bend, kneel, climb stairs and small ladders, and remain on one’s feet for extended periods of time.
Preferred skills include:
- Bar management a plus.
A successful candidate will also possess the following attributes:
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- Effective listening and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to thrive and adapt in a fast-paced, detail-oriented environment.
- Self-sufficient while also a collaborative team player.
- Enthusiasm, integrity, and energy.
- Tactful communication under stress.
- A sense of humor.
- Manage Front of House operations during all CSC performances
- Schedule and oversee house manager assistants, ushers, and bar staffs during performances
- Oversee onsite Security and Valet vendors during performances
- Secure building at end of night
- Coordinate with Development and Marketing Teams to create event plan for year
- Manage and execute event design and aesthetics consistent with the level of excellence expected at CSC
- Coordinate and attend all event planning committee meetings
- Work with and manage special event budgets created by the Development Director
- Post-event duties as needed including tear down, clean up, and rental returns
Corporate, Donor and Community Events:
- Deliver on Corporate, Donor, and Community event satisfaction goals
- Set up, tear down, and clean tables, chairs, linens, décor
- Order, set up, and tear down catering
- Remove trash
- Attend and manage Performance Sponsor nights as designed for new space
- Coordinate with Managing Director on schedule and type of event. Manage set-up and staffing.
- Set up tables, chairs, linens, microphones, etc
- Serve as or manage on-site staff at events
- Tear down after event
Beverage, Concessions and Merchandise Manager:
- With Managing Director, work toward earned revenue goals for beverage, concessions and merchandise sales and purchase
- Coordinate with Marketing team to promote or include marketing of beverages, concessions and merchandise
- Hire, schedule, and train bar captain and bartenders
- Order stock and supplies, and manage inventory
- Manage merchandise displays and sales procedures
- Coordinate custom cocktails and sponsors/vendors supplying ingredients or recipes
- Maintain organization and cleanliness at and behind the bar and in storage areas
Front of House Staffing:
- Recruit and manage a volunteer corps for positions including but not limited to: ushers, assistant house managers, bar support, box office, and special events
Applications will be reviewed upon receipt, and interviews will begin immediately.
Send your resume and cover letter to Managing Director, Lettie Van Hemert email@example.com.
CSC is proudly pluralistic and committed to providing equal opportunity for outstanding individuals. CSC actively seeks applications from qualified candidates who enhance the diversity of its work force.