Reports to: Stage and Production Management
Start Date: August 15, 2022 through June 4, 2023
About the Cincinnati Shakespeare Company
The Cincinnati Shakespeare Company (CSC) is a resident ensemble theatre company bringing Shakespeare and the Classics to life for all. Operating out of The Otto M. Budig Theater, CSC hosts a year-round theatrical season in addition to special events, educational programming, and community engagement activities. In its theatrical portfolio, CSC executes up to ten mainstage productions and six touring productions annually. Beyond its theatrical portfolio, CSC collaborates with many local community and arts organizations.
The Production Associate with serve as a non-union Assistant Stage Manager on 5 shows and Production Assistant on 3 shows. The Production Associate will assist in enforcing COVID health and safety guidelines on all productions.
King Lear – August 15, 2021 – October 2, 2022
Taming of the Shrew – February 6, 2023 – March 26, 2023
As You Like It – March 13, 2023 – April 30, 2023
Assistant Stage Manager
The Living Dead – September 19, 2022 – October 30, 2022
Little Women – September 17, 2022 – December 4, 2022
Every Christmas Story Ever Told – November 28, 2022 – January, 1 2023
The Rewards of Being Frank – January 2, 2023 – February 19, 2023
Trouble in Mind – April 17, 2023 – June 4, 2023
The work schedule of the Production Associate varies to accommodate rehearsals and performances. The schedule regularly includes evenings and weekends with a base of 30 – 40 working hours per week. The Production Associate receives regular days off as defined by CSC’s Actors’ Equity Association agreement.
Like all team members, the Production Associate is expected to follow evolving health and safety protocol as CSC navigates its reopening in response to changing expectations from the Actors’ Equity Associate and various government institutions.
The Production Associate will report to and assist Stage and Production Management with daily responsibilities related to the mainstage productions.
- Production Assistant
- Assist the Stage Management team with duties related to the pre-production, rehearsal, technical, and performances for a show as necessary.
- May run backstage track, serve as a board operator, or provide other performance assistance as required.
- Assistant Stage Management
- During rehearsals general duties may include: setting up the rehearsal room, tracking props and costumes, being on book, taking line notes, and creating paperwork to assist with the production process such as props lists, preset sheets, run sheets, etc.
- During performances general duties may include: setting up and maintaining backstage spaces, communicating via headset, assisting with quick changes, scenic transitions, and handoffs, relaying notes to other team members, cleaning and preparing stage areas for work.
- COVID-19 Safety Manager (CSM)
- Attend COVID-19 management training and serve as the CSM for rehearsals and performances.
- Enforce COVID-19 health and safety guidelines as defined by CSC for all rehearsal and performance calls.
- Resolve (or collaborate with Production Management to resolve) compliance concerns and issues.
- Provide weekly COVID-19 reports regarding concerns, violations, and compliance issues to Production and Company Management.
Competencies & Qualifications
The items listed below are guidelines to skills and ambitions that a successful candidate should have. Successful candidates will identify as possessing the majority of these skills or being actively interested and committed to developing these skills. Candidates who have yet to cultivate some of these attributes but feel passionate about growing them may still find success in this role.
- Passionate about cultivating a work environment and work product that supports CSC’s DEIA initiatives.
- Drive to create excellent theatre that has a significant impact in the community and beyond.
- Ability to remain tactful in stressful situations.
- Desire to lead a team, develop professional skills, and foster professional development.
- Previous experience in theatre with a focus in stage management. Experience in other departments a plus.
- Experience creating paperwork associated with the rehearsing and running of a show.
- Comfortable supervising backstage or rehearsal room activity during a production.
- Once adequately trained, comfortable enforcing COVID-19 health and safety regulations.
Physical & Practical
- Able to lift 30 pounds, occasional bending, kneeling, crawling, and use of ladders up to 12 feet.
- Comfort working at heights of up to 22 feet.
- Local housing.
Compensation & Benefits
This is a seasonal, hourly position compensated at $15.00 per hour. Overtime hours, if worked, are paid at a rate of $22.50 per hour. All compensation is received through direct deposit on a biweekly basis. In addition to their earnings, The Production Associate also receives:
- Holidays off per the AEA Rulebook (Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day).
- Sick time accrued weekly.
- YMCA Membership which offers fitness facilities throughout the region and other wellness benefits.
- Complimentary and discounted tickets to all CSC productions.
- Eligibility to enroll in the EMC program through the Actors’ Equity Association for all shows serving as the Assistant Stage Manager.
Equal Opportunity Employer
CSC is committed to providing equal opportunity for outstanding humans. CSC actively seeks nominations of applications from qualified individuals, from the broadest possible community, and is interested in receiving applications from individuals who enhance the diversity of its work force. CSC strongly supports equal employment opportunity for all applicants regardless of race, sex, religion, creed, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation or any other legally protected classification.