Title: Stage Management Intern, Summer Season
Reports to: Resident Stage Manager
Dates: June 15, 2020 through August 3, 2020
Rate: $350 weekly, paid biweekly
About the Cincinnati Shakespeare Company
The Cincinnati Shakespeare Company (CSC) is a resident ensemble theatre company bringing Shakespeare and the Classics to life for audiences of all ages. Operating out of The Otto M. Budig Theater, CSC hosts a year-round theatrical season in addition to special events, educational programming, and outreach efforts. In its theatrical portfolio, CSC executes up to 10 mainstage productions and 6 touring productions annually. CSC operates under an Actor’s Equity Association Small Professional Theater contract (tier 5+).
Diversity and inclusion are priorities of the Cincinnati Shakespeare Company. CSC strongly supports equal employment opportunity for all applicants regardless of race, sex, gender, religion, creed, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected classification. Applicants of varied backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply.
The Stage Management Intern is an essential part of the Cincinnati Shakespeare Company’s Production Department, collaborating closely with the stage manager, production staff, and ensemble to ensure that stage operations are executed at the highest possible standard.
This position is ideal for an early career stage manager looking to further develop their skills while working closely with an AEA stage manager at a professional theatre company. Candidates must be able to work safely, independently, and efficiently. The ideal applicant will have a positive attitude, good creative problem-solving skills, and be able to work in an active, fast-paced environment. Flexibility is also important; candidates should be able to adapt to the needs of a production and the artists involved.
The Stage Management Intern works an average of six days per week, and the day-to-day schedule is variable based on the rehearsal and performance schedules. Extended hours and modified workweeks may be necessary due to technical rehearsals and specific production needs.
The Cincinnati Shakespeare Company truly operates as a team. To consistently achieve excellence, it is possible that the Stage Management Intern will be asked to assist departments beyond their area of focus or expertise. This effort is requested under exceptional circumstances.
- A desire to learn
- Commitment to developing skills necessary of a professional Stage Manager
- Some academic or professional experience on a Stage Management team
- Experience creating paperwork associated with the rehearsing and running a show
- Comfortable supervising backstage activity during a production
- Maturity and professionalism
- Strong organizational, time management, problem solving, and communication skills
- Able to keep calm under pressure and remain tactful in stressful situations
- A sense of humor
- Ability to lift 30 pounds, and occasional bending, kneeling, crawling, and use of ladders up to 12 feet
- Genuine interest in creating a diverse, collaborative, and inclusive work environment
- Local housing
Preferred skills include:
- Some familiarity with Actor’s Equity Association guidelines.
The SM Intern will report to and assist the Stage Manager with daily responsibilities related to the mainstage production. The primary focus of this position will be on the summer mainstage production, but may include tasks related to the summer touring productions and fall mainstage productions.
- Preproduction work such as taping out the set and setting up the rehearsal room.
- Maintain cleanliness and general upkeep of the areas that the stage management staff uses on a regular basis.
- Oversee prop load-in for technical rehearsals.
- Coordinating with other departments to set up tables, shelves, props, set pieces, costumes, first aid supplies, etc. in the backstage areas.
- Maintaining a safe, clean, and quiet backstage area.
- Assisting with quick changes during performances.
- Communicating via headset throughout the tech and performance process.
- Relaying notes about set, props, safety, facilities, etc. to the Production Stage Manager.
- Cleaning and maintaining the onstage area during performances, which may include basic maintenance of the set and props.
- Participating in all strike calls.
- Adhere to company policies and regulations per the CSC Company Handbook.
- Maintain a safe, fair, and ethical working environment.
- Other duties as requested.
Compensation & Benefits
The pay rate for this position is $350/week (received through biweekly payroll). In addition to this, the Stage Management Intern receives:
- Complimentary and discounted tickets to CSC productions.
- Eligibility to enroll in the EMC program through the Actors Equity Association.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and (3) paperwork samples to Kate Bindus, Associate Production Manager, at email@example.com with the subject line “SM Intern Submission.” Applications accepted until February 10th, 2020.