Title: Tour Coordinator and Stage Management Intern
Reports to: Resident Stage Manager
Dates: May 26, 2020 through May 30, 2021
Rate: $350 weekly, paid biweekly
About the Cincinnati Shakespeare Company
The Cincinnati Shakespeare Company (CSC) is a resident ensemble theatre company bringing Shakespeare and the Classics to life for audiences of all ages. Operating out of The Otto M. Budig Theater, CSC hosts a year-round theatrical season in addition to special events, educational programming, and outreach efforts. In its theatrical portfolio, CSC executes up to 10 mainstage productions and 6 touring productions annually. CSC operates under an Actor’s Equity Association Small Professional Theater contract (tier 5+).
Diversity and inclusion are priorities of the Cincinnati Shakespeare Company. CSC strongly supports equal employment opportunity for all applicants regardless of race, sex, gender, religion, creed, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected classification. Applicants of varied backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply.
The Tour Coordinator & Stage Management Intern is an essential part of the Cincinnati Shakespeare Company’s Production Department, collaborating closely with directors, production staff, creative staff, and guest artists to ensure that stage operations are executed at the highest possible standard.
This position is ideal for an early career stage manager looking to further develop their skills while working closely with an AEA stage manager at a professional theatre company. Candidates must be able to work safely, independently, and efficiently. The ideal applicant will have a positive attitude, good creative problem-solving skills, and be able to work in an active, fast-paced environment. Flexibility is also important; candidates should be able to adapt to the needs of a production and the artists involved.
This opportunity breaks down into two distinct experiences. From early June through early August, the Tour Coordinator & Stage Management Intern works on CSC’s summer touring productions. They will serve as the rehearsal Stage Manager, focusing intently on fight choreography, reporting, and assisting the Tour Manager to get the productions set for their full year of touring. This develops the scheduling, logistics, and management skills of the intern. It is a great opportunity to establish some beginning-level independent management skills while receiving mentorship and oversight from Stage and Production Management staff.
While the final summer tour is opening, the Tour Coordinator & Stage Management Intern will have dual focus on the tours and initiating pre-production and rehearsals for CSC’s mainstage season. Mainstage rehearsals start in early August, after which the cyclical process of rehearsals, and performances cover the rest of CSC’s season.
The Stage Management Intern works an average of six days per week, and the day-to-day schedule is variable based on the rehearsal and performance schedules. Extended hours and modified workweeks may be necessary due to technical rehearsals and specific production needs.
The Cincinnati Shakespeare Company truly operates as a team. To consistently achieve excellence, it is possible that the Tour Coordinator & Stage Management Intern will be asked to assist departments beyond their area of focus or expertise. This effort is requested under exceptional circumstances.
- A desire to learn
- Commitment to developing skills necessary of a professional Stage Manager
- Some academic or professional experience on a Stage Management team
- Experience creating paperwork associated with the rehearsing and running a show
- Comfortable supervising backstage activity during a production
- Maturity and professionalism
- Strong organizational, time management, problem solving, and communication skills
- Able to keep calm under pressure and remain tactful in stressful situations
- A sense of humor
- Ability to lift 30 pounds, and occasional bending, kneeling, crawling, and use of ladders up to 12 feet
- Genuine interest in creating a diverse, collaborative, and inclusive work environment
- Local housing
Preferred skills include:
- Some familiarity with Actor’s Equity Association guidelines.
The Tour Coordinator & Stage Management Intern will report to and assist the Production Stage Manager and Director of Operations & Production with daily responsibilities related to the touring and mainstage productions.
- During rehearsals general duties include: setting up the rehearsal room, taking blocking, tracking props and costumes, being on book, taking line notes, and creating paperwork to assist with the production process such as props lists, preset sheets, run sheets, etc.
- Coordinate touring technical rehearsals and sound engineer schedule.
- Capture archival recordings of touring productions and go out with each tour at least (2) times.
- Attend production meetings.
- Preproduction work such as taping out the set and setting up the rehearsal room.
- Maintain cleanliness and general upkeep of the areas that the stage management staff uses on a regular basis.
- Oversee prop load-in for technical rehearsals.
- Coordinating with other departments to set up tables, shelves, props, set pieces, costumes, first aid supplies, etc. in the backstage areas.
- Maintaining a safe, clean, and quiet backstage area.
- Assisting with quick changes during performances.
- Communicating via headset throughout the tech and performance process.
- Relaying notes about set, props, safety, facilities, etc. to the Production Stage Manager.
- Cleaning and maintaining the onstage area during performances, which may include basic maintenance of the set and props.
- Participating in all strike calls.
- Adhere to company policies and regulations per the CSC Company Handbook.
- Maintain a safe, fair, and ethical working environment.
- Other duties as requested.
Compensation & Benefits
The pay rate for this position is $350/week (received through biweekly payroll). In addition to this, the Tour Coordinator & Stage Management Intern receives:
- The Tour Coordinator & Stage Management Intern will receive the following Holidays: Thanksgiving (November 25th & 26th), Christmas (December 23rd – 25th), and New Year’s Day (January 1st).
- Complimentary and discounted tickets to all CSC productions.
- Eligibility to enroll in the EMC program through the Actors Equity Association.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and (3) paperwork samples to Kate Bindus, Associate Production Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “SM Intern/Tour Coordinator Submission.” Applications accepted until February 10th, 2020.